Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The One That Got Away Teaser

“Another game,” Lucy said, yawning widely. “I want to beat you, Daddy, at Go Fish!”

“You are fading fast. Liam is down for the count,” Edward chuckled, running his fingers through Liam’s red hair, as his son slumped against his father’s arm. “It was a big day.” Lucy scowled. “Come on, Luce. Let’s get you settled in bed.” He easily scooped up Liam. Bella got up, offering her hand to Lucy. She reluctantly took it, following Edward into the kids’ wing. Edward tucked Liam into bed, kissing his forehead. “Good night, bud. Love you lots.”

“Love you, Daddy,” Liam mumbled, rolling over and snuggling into his bed.

“Miss Bella, can you read me a story?” Lucy asked.

“Pick out a book, Lucy,” Bella smiled. Lucy bounced away, grabbing a picture book and crawling into bed. Bella sat next to her, opening the book and reading the story of Where the Wild Things Are. Edward grabbed his cell phone and took a few photos, watching Bella interact with his daughter and acting like a mom and loving his children. Halfway through the story, Lucy conked out, her face pressed against Bella’s arm. Bella kissed her cheek and tucked her into bed. “I hope I didn’t overstep.”

“Not at all,” Edward said, pulling Bella into his arms. He closed his eyes, trying not to cry. “Thank you, sweetness.” He kissed her tenderly, staring into her eyes.

“Are you okay, baby?” Bella asked, massaging his forearms.

“I’m perfect,” he said, hugging her close and moving her away from the twins’ rooms. “I know that I shouldn’t be this emotional, but seeing Lucy ask you to read to her? And how you interact with them? I love you so much and my love for you has grown because you accept my babies.”

“They’re hardly babies,” Bella giggled, wrapping her arms around his waist.


“They’ll always be my babies,” Edward chuckled, sitting down and holding Bella to his body. “I gave them their first baths and saw almost all of their firsts, save for their first steps. I was at work when that happened. Tanya told me with a wave of the hand, like it wasn’t a big deal. She didn’t even film it.” He scowled, tightening his hold on me. “But, they’re my babies. Even though they’re seven, they’re my babies.”

No comments:

Post a Comment