Tuesday, July 5, 2016

The One That Got Away Teaser

Finishing his shower, he put on a pair of boxer briefs and shorts, climbing into his king-sized bed. He had a few hours before Liam and Lucy came home from school. He desperately needed sleep since he had gotten very little over the past few days. Unfortunately, that was not happening. His cell phone rang from the kitchen.

“I’m not answering,” Edward grumbled, pulling his pillow over his head and curling into a tiny ball. The phone stopped and he sighed, relaxing again. But again, the phone went off. “Fuck my life,” he snarled, stomping to the kitchen. He looked at the display, not recognizing the number. “Cullen,” he barked.

“Ah, the elusive Mr. Cullen,” came a slimy voice on the other line. “I’ve been trying to call you for a couple of days now.”

“I’ve been working and it’s Dr. Cullen,” Edward retorted. “Who are you and what do you want?”

“My name is Aro Volturi and I represent Mrs. Tanya Cullen,” he said. “Your wife?”

“She’s not my wife anymore. We got divorced and I’ve got a restraining order,” Edward snapped. “What could she possibly want?”

“She just wants to see her beautiful children, Mr. Cullen,” Aro said, his voice lowering.

“I’m not sure if my ex-wife told you the whole story, but she relinquished her parental rights, Mr. Volturi. She has no right to ask for visitation. And for further reference, any other requests of this nature should be directed to my attorney, Jason Jenks. And if you don’t stop harassing me, I’ll have the police arrest you,” Edward said calmly. “If there’s nothing else, I’m going back to bed since I’ve been up for over forty-eight hours straight. Good. Day.”

Edward hung up the phone and turned it off. Wrinkling his nose, he went back to bed and crashed almost immediately, finally letting his exhaustion to dissipate with a much needed nap.


When he woke up, he was surrounded. Lucy was snuggled in his arms, her stuffed dog tucked in her arms. Liam was behind Edward, snoring loudly, holding Edward’s arm. He smiled softly, kissing his children’s foreheads. “I love you both,” he whispered. 


No comments:

Post a Comment