Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Fandom for Mental Health Awareness Fundraiser

You'd be surprised how many people are stricken with a mental health disorder ... depression, anxiety, Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar disorder ... the list goes on.

Personally, I suffer from depression and anxiety. I was diagnosed with depression and general anxiety disorder about ten years ago. I was on medications for both of them for several years and I got off them five years ago, only taking an as-needed anxiety pill. Earlier this year, I lost my mom and fell into a major depressive episode. I'm back on medications, hoping to get off them in a year.

Regardless, this is something that many people suffer from and there is still a huge stigma attached to having a mental disorder. So many people do not get treatment or cannot afford it. So, I'm submitting a contribution for this worthy cause. Information about donating, and other contributing authors are located on the Fandom For Mental Health Awareness Website. Essentially, if you donate to this cause, you will get over 70 stories or poems.

My contribution is entitled Out of the Darkness. Here's the summary:

Edward Cullen is a fallen angel, living among humans. He’s dark, snarky, tattooed and a total badass. However, he still has his wings and angelic powers because the ‘powers that be’ believe that he is capable of redemption, despite being cast out of heaven. His exile was due to the fact that he was interacting with an unknown evil that tempted him over sixty years ago. Because of his mistake, he’s resigned to live out his immortal existence as a bitter angel, caught in limbo.

Isabella Swan, a human, is in the wrong place at the wrong time. In her innocence, she manages to worm her way into his heart, bringing him back into the light and out of the darkness.

Banner by Clo Rodeffer

Teaser: 

“Hey, Ed, it’s closing time,” said the huge bartender, Frank. “Can you drive? You’ve been drinking like a fish all night.”

“I’m good,” I said, slamming back my shot. I didn’t drive here in the first place. I don’t think I could get a ticket for flying while drunk. I could get a slap on the wrist from the Big Guy upstairs, but he was kind of pissed at me at the moment.

Or sixty some-odd years.

 Whatever. I reached into my wallet and pulled out some cash, tossing it onto the bar. “See you tomorrow, Frank.”

“Don’t you work?” Frank asked, arching a brow.

“When I want to,” I shrugged, waving at him as I slipped out of the bar. I lit up a cigarette, inhaling deeply. I understood why humans enjoyed this, even though it was deadly to them. It was strangely calming, feeling the nicotine fill my lungs, the burn making me feel alive even though I wasn’t really alive, but I wasn’t dead either. I was just here.

I finished my cigarette, stomping it with my foot. I walked toward a dilapidated old car and toward the woods behind the bar. Once I was out of sight, I rolled my back and felt my cramped wings unfurl, poking through the holes I had in my jacket. “Sorry, boys. I can’t exactly walk around with you guys out,” I quipped to my wings. I stretched them as far as they could go, about ten feet, reveling in being able to keep them out. But, I really couldn’t walk around with them on display. “It might attract attention.”

I’m talking to my wings. You are a fucking mess.

Shaking my head at my own stupidity, I crouched down, pushing off the ground and took off to my home in the woods of Forks, Washington. I smiled as the cool, humid air that covered my face and I flew freely through the thick cloud cover, twisting, turning and doing loop-de-loops. Nothing was as freeing as flying. I loved flying.

But, how can I fly?

Right. You don’t know why.

My name is Edward Cullen and I’m an angel.

A fallen angel.

One mistake and you’re banished to earth for all eternity.

That just sucks. 

Do you want more? Please contribute to this worthy cause by May 20th. Thank you for considering! Hugs to you :-). 

No comments:

Post a Comment