Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Picking up the Pieces Teaser



If you had told me that I would be living in this tiny, rainy town ten years ago, I would have laughed in your face. This was not how I envisioned my life. I was thirty-six years old, working as a small-town cop when I should have been assistant to the deputy director of the FBI. I graduated from college with a degree in criminal justice, working in D.C. for the FBI when my mom was first diagnosed. I was twenty-three. She said that she was fine and I stayed in our nation’s capital, making a name for myself. She overcame the cancer and I collectively, our family relaxed, grateful for mom’s remission.

Selfishly, I had everything I could have ever wanted. A beautiful condo in Arlington, a sexy girlfriend, a lucrative job, a flashy car…but it all came crashing down. At the age of thirty, I was getting ready to go undercover to take down a huge drug ring when my dad called and said that the cancer had come back. The cancer was very aggressive. It was only a matter of time, he said. When he said that, I told my boss that I had to take an extended leave of absence. He gave me two weeks. I flew to Forks, Washington to see my mom and I knew that two weeks wouldn’t cut it.

I tendered my resignation with the bureau, sold my condo and moved into a medium-sized four bedroom house in the rainiest place in the continental United States. My girlfriend, the bitch from hell, also known as Kate, dumped me when I told her that I had to go home to take care of my mother. She had the audacity to call me selfish and not care about her needs. I simply demanded for my key to condo from her, moving out in a weekend. Most of my furnishings were shipped to my new home. What I didn’t want, I donated to Good Will. I changed my cell phone number. I sold my sleek Mercedes and bought a massive Yukon Denali. At the age of thirty, my life completely changed.

I said goodbye to my old life and started my new one. A small town cop…oops, sorry. Deputy for the Forks Police Department. With my experience with the bureau, I was technically second in command after Chief Swan. That was in title only. I got paid the same as the other deputies.

Which was next to nothing…not that I needed it anyway.

You sound so fucking bitter, Cullen. Stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment