Friday, August 9, 2013

The Next Chapter Teaser

“Okay, now that we’re all here, there are a few things I want to discuss and a few questions that I have to ask,” Detective Sanchez said sternly. “I’m going to start with the difficult questions. Your mother alluded to the fact that she had a former student of yours come forward, threatening to molest him sexually.”

“It’s a load of horseshit,” I spat. “I am a dedicated educator and I worked hard all my career. I’ve heard about teachers touching children, but the mere thought of that sickens me. I do not even know who would even say something like that.”

“There was that one girl that you pressed charges about the car,” Edward suggested.

“She’s sick. Jorie has leukemia,” I said, frowning deeply. “It could be anyone. I’ve been teaching for sixteen years, Edward.”

“My guess is that it would be someone fairly recent,” Detective Sanchez mused. “You were the dean of Cherry Blossom, right?”

“For four years,” I said, wrinkling my nose. “Worst job in the world. I mean, I dealt with the kids who didn’t care about school and the parents who were indifferent about their child’s education. It could be anyone of those kids who I supposedly ‘wronged’ when I disciplined them. If I had to guess, that’s roughly three hundred kids over four years. You’d have to get a subpoena or warrant to access those records. The school district won’t willingly hand them over.”

“Well, you can automatically eliminate all of the girls. In the letter, Renee did say it was a boy,” Seth said, pointing to the letter.

“I’d rather not ask for school records,” Detective Sanchez said. “Bella is right. This boy could be anyone, not just one of the students from when she was the dean.”

“Do you believe my wife?” Edward asked, his tone steely.


“Yes, Dr. Masen. I know of your family’s integrity, but I needed to ask,” Detective Sanchez said apologetically. 

No comments:

Post a Comment