Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A Prescription for Love Teaser


Everyone nodded, sipping their drinks. I idly played with my glass, lost in my own thoughts. I was happy for Rose, worried for me and slightly unsettled by the looks that Jasper was sending Alice’s way.

Prior to his departure to Houston, he gave me a letter to deliver to Alice. I gave it to her but as far as I know, Alice threw it out. She didn’t want to even read what Jasper wrote down. He’d made his bed with his small-mindedness, prejudice and snide commentary; now he had to lie in it. Without Alice.

“How’s the job, Jasper?” Edward asked. “You enjoying Houston?”

“It’s good,” Jasper said as he drank his beer. “My course load is challenging but my classes are great.”

“You’re a professor, right?” Garrett questioned, arching a brow.

“Yeah. I teach history classes at Rice University; American History, focusing on the Revolutionary War and Civil War,” Jasper said. “You a nurse?”

“Ah, no,” Garrett chuckled, a bit taken aback by Jasper’s assumption. “I’m the associate head of the emergency department with Edward.”

“Oh. Sorry,” Jasper blushed. He scrubbed his face and looked forlornly at Alice.

“What?” she snapped, glaring at him. “Stop giving me the puppy dog eyes, Jasper.”

“I’m not,” Jasper fumbled. “I’m looking at the picture behind you.”

“You’re looking at a picture of a martini like it’s the last woman on earth,” Alice said, rolling her eyes. “Just stop. We’re done and I’m head over heels in love with Garrett. This ship has sailed.” 
Alice got out of the booth, stomping toward the back of the bar. Cynthia and I looked at each other. Edward chuckled lowly as he moved out of the booth to allow me to follow Alice along with her sister. Jasper started to get up from his seat at the end of the table. Edward pushed him back down, giving him a stern look. Cynthia and I went in search of Alice.

We found her pacing in the back, by the woman’s room. Her hair was a mess as she tugged on it with her fingers. “Where does he get off?” Alice sneered. “I mean, I broke it off with him…
There’s not a snowball’s chance in hell that I’m going back to him. I mean, really!”

“Ali-cat, calm down,” Cynthia said as she stopped Alice from her pacing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment