Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Prescription for Love Teaser


The judge came out. Rose was gripping on Emmett’s suit jacket as the judge was making a few comments about the upcoming testimony. The prosecutors thanked the judge for his words and called Rose up to the stand. On shaky limbs, she walked up to the witness stand. She placed her right hand on the bible and swore to tell the truth.

One of the prosecutors, the woman, smiled at Rose. She had been the lawyer that worked exclusively with my sister. Her name was Lynn and was an amazing attorney. “Can you start by telling us your name, please?”

“My name is Rosalie Lillian Cullen,” my sister said quietly.

“You need to speak louder, Miss Cullen,” the judge chided gently.

“Sorry,” she replied. Rose cleared her throat. “My name is Rosalie Lillian Cullen.”

“What was your relationship with the defendant, Miss Cullen?” Lynn asked.

“We had been dating for a little over a year,” Rose answered. “We had discussed marriage but never really got past the discussion phase.”

“Did you love him?”

“At the time, I thought I did,” Rose answered flatly.

“Were you ever intimate with Mr. King?” Lynn asked, knowing full well that Rose was not.

“We had kissed and fooled around but, no. Prior to the night of my college graduation, we had not been intimate,” Rose responded, her voice taking on a hard edge.

“What happened on the night of your college graduation?”

Rose pinched her nose and huffed out a breath. “Royce and I went out, celebrate my college graduation. I had just finished my meal with my family and was eager to spend time with my boyfriend. In the back of my mind, I thought he was going to propose.”

“Did he?” Lynn questioned, crossing in front of Rose, blocking Royce from my sister’s view. The shade of Royce’s skin indicated that he was pissed off. It was an unnatural shade of puce. “Did he propose?”

“He asked me a question but it wasn’t the one I was expecting,” Rose spat bitterly.

“What was that question?”

“I apologize for my crudeness, but it’s a direct quote from him,” Rose said coldly, gesturing to Royce. “We walked around the lake and we stopped on a bench. He took my hand and leered at me, staring at my chest. ‘Why haven’t we fucked, Rose?’”

No comments:

Post a Comment