Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Angels and Monsters Teaser


Eddie needs bears! Emmett laughed in my head. I dropped my shield around Edward’s mind and his eyes widened. He moved back, grasping his head, almost in pain. I lithely fell onto my feet. I crouched in front of him.

“What’s that?” Edward moaned as he held his head.

“I removed my shield. Focus on Emmett’s mental voice. It’s the one that sounds like an overgrown kid,” I chuckled.

“How?” he asked, looking at me warily.

“Think of the voices in your head a chorus. Find the one voice that you want to be a solo,” I said. Edward’s brows furrowed and he listened intently.

“Emmett wants me to try a bear,” Edward said, a crooked grin spreading over his face.

“Excellent. Eventually, you’ll be able to do that without a second thought. But, you need to hunt. It’ll focus you and give you your center,” I explained. “Do you want a fresh shirt?”

“Yes, please,” he chuckled as he looked down at his bare chest. “I’m not sure if I can put it on, though.”

“I want you to try,” I said as I got up from my crouched position. I grabbed a shirt from the dresser, handing it to Edward. I shielded his mind so he could concentrate on putting his shirt on. He gave me a grateful smile as he unfolded the shirt. He tore the arm, growling lowly. I could feel his frustrations grow.

“Shit,” he spat. “I’m never going to get this.”

“Edward, you’ve been a vampire for fifteen minutes,” I said as I handed him another shirt, taking the ruined one from his hands. “I had the same problem as you, but I was with Jasper. A perfect stranger. He had to dress me for the first week or so until I got comfortable with my strength. But, I have faith in you.”

“The fabric feels so weak,” he said as he held the shirt gingerly with his thumb and forefinger. Slowly, he reached for the hem of the shirt, pulling it over his head. When the shirt didn’t rip, he smiled. Carefully, he pulled his arms through the sleeves and he was in a shirt. “I did it.”

“You did,” I said with a wide, beaming grin. “But to save you some frustration, I’ll put on your shoes and socks. I don’t want you to destroy my house.”

“No, that would be bad,” he chuckled nervously. “I can destroy a house?”

No comments:

Post a Comment