Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Angels and Monsters Update

Chapter Three


"Edward, I'm going to get the basket and pay the cabbie," I said, barely maintaining my control. "It looks like we're going to be here for awhile."

"Are you okay?" Edward asked as he stared at me. I was itching to get out of the apartment, desperate for some fresh, untainted air. I nodded and gestured to the cab. Edward handed me his keys and some money. I could have paid for the cab but Edward was insisting on being a gentleman. My mind was too clouded with blood for me to argue. I headed out to the street and breathed deeply as I exited the building. The scents of diesel, garbage and pollution were a welcome change from the tempting blood up in Emmett's apartment.

I walked to the cab and paid the driver as I picked up the basket. He pulled away and I sat down on the stoop. I opened my mind, trying to search for Emmett's mind. I got nothing. I heard nothing from him but he could be out of my range. I had only caught a few glimpses into his brain the night before last. It wasn't really enough for me to catch his mental 'scent.'

"Bella?" Edward murmured as he sat down next to me. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm worried about Emmett," I answered. "What if something happened to him?"

"Emmett is too big to have anything happen to him," Edward joked but his smile didn't reach his eyes. In his mind, he could imagine Emmett being killed or gravely injured. Briefly, Victoria flashed in his mind as being connected to Emmett's disappearance. But he shook it off. "The cops will be here in a few minutes. We can leave after that."





No comments:

Post a Comment