Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Geek's Guide to Parenthood Update

Florence

The door slammed in the villa. Kyra started fussing and Francesca passed her to Bella. We shared a look. Did we make a mistake? No, we didn't. I loved my sister. Deeply. She was my advocate when I was too chicken shit to do anything. However, she was not ready to be a godmother. If anything happened to us, Kyra would be going to her godparents. Did I want my sister raising my daughter?

I'm not so sure.

I sighed and got up. "I'm going to check on Younger," I said. Bella frowned and calmed Kyra. The rest of the family headed into the dining room for dinner. I went to their bedroom and heard Alice sobbing. It broke my heart to hear her cry. I blew out a breath and knocked on the door. Jasper threw it open and glared at me.

"What?"

"I'd like to talk to you and my sister," I said.

"Too damn bad," Jasper snarled. "We've been the closest to you for all or most of your life and this how you repay us?"

"Can we talk?" I snapped. "This isn't about you. Or Alice. It's about what's best for my child."

"Jasper, let me talk to Edward. Go outside and cool down. I don't want any broken bones," Alice mumbled. Jasper shoved past me and went out onto the veranda. "Why, Edward?"

"Ali, it wasn't an easy decision," I said as I sat down in her room. She was curled up on the bed, looking incredibly small. "I love you, Younger. So much. But, it's about Kyra."

"Are you insinuating that I'll be a bad mother?" Alice asked, sneering at me.

"No. Never that. Rose has been Bella's friend forever. She was the logical choice. Yes, she's got a foul mouth and makes questionable decisions, but she loves Bella. She loves Kyra. I could see that when she was holding her this afternoon. You seemed scared."

"I am, Edward. I'm so afraid of fucking up your baby," she wailed.

No comments:

Post a Comment