“Pssst! Edward! Wake your scrawny ass up!”
I opened my eyes and saw that it was still relatively dark. “Emmett?” I croaked, seeing the dark, hulking shadow at my doorway. I untangled my body from Bella’s and padded to my bedroom door. “What the hell, man? It’s still dark out.”
“I know. I want to take you and Jasper fishing,” he said, smiling like a loon.
“And you couldn’t have told me this yesterday?” I grumbled. “Emmett, I was looking forward to spending time with Bella. She’s only here for another two weeks before she goes back to Seattle…”
Emmett grabbed my arm and dragged me into the kitchen. Jasper was sitting at my breakfast bar, holding onto a cup of coffee like it was going to save his life. He barely looked alive. Poor guy. “How did you guys get in here?” I asked, giving my brother a stern look.
“Mom gave me your key,” Emmett said, dangling the key in my face. I tried to grab but Emmett held it above my head with a snicker. I scowled at him. “Anyhoo… Edward, you’re back to normal and I want to spend some time with my brother. I know that Bella is leaving but you know what they say about absence making the heart grow fonder.” Emmett waggled his brows. I rubbed my face, glowering at my older brother. He sighed, putting his arm around my shoulders. “Look, Eddie. I wasn’t sure if I could pull this off. I got a call last night from the guys who wanted to go out today. They had to cancel. So, I jumped at the chance to do this with you and Jasper.”
“I can tell Jasper is thrilled. He’s drooling on my granite counter tops,” I deadpanned.
Jasper was nodding off, leaving a puddle of spit on the counter. Just as his head was going to connect with the counter, his eyes flew open. “I caught the mouse!” Jasper barked, jumping back awake.
“Yeah, you did, Jasper,” I said as I guided his head to his arms. Jasper hummed happily, promptly snoring like a freight train. “Emmett, it’s five in the morning.”
“You know that the fish start biting early,” Emmett smirked. “Please, Edward? The girls are going to Rio to do some shopping. Alice needs a new dress or some shit like that.”
“All the more reason for me stay with Bella,” I said, arching a brow. “She’s not as familiar with the city as we are. I don’t want anything to happen to her. She means too much to me.” I looked back toward my bedroom, where I should be still sleeping with my girl. I wanted to keep her close to me. In two short weeks, she’s going back to Seattle and I’m terrified that she’s going to never come back or that she’ll still want to be with me once she gets back home.
“Edward, I see your uncertainty on your face,” Emmett said. “For some strange reason, that girl adores you. Being away from her for a day will not be a bad thing. She’ll be fine with Alice and Rose. When you get home, you can make sweet love to her all night.”
“We haven’t made love yet, Emmett,” I said, looking at him. “I want to wait. I have to wait…”
“Damn,” Emmett chuckled. “Look, Eddie. When was the last time we bonded like this? As brothers?”
“Right before I left for college,” I replied. It had been a long time.
“Let’s do this, baby bro. I’ve missed you and I want a relationship with you,” he said. “Besides, I want to talk to you about Bella. Please?” He put his head on my shoulder, jutting out his lip pathetically.
“Ugh, fine,” I growled, shoving him off my shoulder. “I’ve got to shower and say goodbye to my Bella. I’ll meet you and Rip van Winkle at the marina in a half hour, okay?”
“Sweet!” Emmett bellowed, dancing like a buffoon in the middle of my kitchen. Then, he poked Jasper, who fell off the stool. “Come on, Sleepyhead…we’re going fishing!”
“We can bait the hooks with the mouse I caught,” Jasper mumbled. Emmett shook his head, tossing Jasper over his shoulder. With a wave, my brother left my kitchen, slamming my front door, making my windows rattle.


No comments:
Post a Comment