Thursday, February 15, 2018

Picking up the Pieces Teaser

“Ugh, I’m dying,” Edward moaned.  “What the hell was that stuff?”  He was leaning against the bathroom wall, looking quite green and very red from his sun burn. It was not a good look. Edward was a handsome man, but he looked miserable.

“Navajo moonshine,” I replied. “I can handle one sip before I’m a drunken mess. It’s strong. How many glasses did you have?”

“Four?” he groaned, his head disappearing into the toilet as he retched. He was staying here while I was going to pick up the kids from Poppy’s place. I needed to get dressed, but he needed the toilet to puke up the alcohol. Poor thing. It felt strangely domestic. It also brought back some unpleasant memories of when Jake was battling his chemo treatments. I knew, however, that this was a hangover. I’d been in the same boat as him after my first experience with that potent drink. “I’m sorry you’re seeing me like this. I’m never drinking again.”

“Not moonshine,” I said, wetting a washcloth and putting it around his neck. He looked up at me, his eyes bleary and his face flushed. “Anything you need?”

“Water and about four ibuprofen,” he said. His voice was raspy, tired. “And perhaps a couple of loaves of bread. To soak up all this booze.”

“I’ll pick you up a couple of bagels, and coffee,” I smiled, brushing his sweaty hair off his forehead. He whimpered. “I have water in the fridge and some pain killers. I’m going to take the kids out for breakfast. We’ll be out for a couple of hours. You get some more rest, okay?”

“What time are we leaving?” he asked.

“Our flight is at nine tonight. After checkout, Rebecca and Ryan invited us over for dinner,” I replied, kissing his temple. “I’ll tell her to make something bland.”

“No alcohol,” he quipped. “I’ll be fine. I’ll just worship the porcelain god for another hour or so and then try to pack up our stuff. I’m sorry I’m a mess.”

“You took care of me when I was a mess,” I said.

“You weren’t a mess. You were heartbroken, not that I blamed you,” he said, wiping his face with the washcloth. “If I lost you, I’d feel the same way.”

“I love you, Edward Cullen,” I said, kissing his lips, despite his vomit breath. “I don’t know what I did to deserve to have two great loves, but …”

“I love you more, sweetness,” he breathed. “And I’m honored to receive that love.  I know you really love me since you kissed me with my dragon breath and all.”

I smiled kissing his mouth again before getting up and grabbing my purse, phone, keys and a small bag with clothes for the kids. “I’ll be back in three hours, Edward. Just rest, Deputy.”


“I’ll try, but a shower sounds much better than sleep,” he said. “Be safe, love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment