Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Out of the Darkness Teaser

I don’t know how we got through the rest of the day. I was an anxious mess. Bella was even worse. This meeting with Carlisle, Esme and all of the local angels, it freaked us the fuck out. When the day was done, Bella and I drove back to the house. She was gripping my hand, holding it so tightly, my fingers would probably be numbed if I were human. Arriving back at my home, we went inside and it was filled with angels. Bella shrank back, obviously not comfortable in a crowd, her heart stammering against her ribs.
“It’s okay, Bella,” I said soothingly. “This is just the team of angels protecting you. Protecting this region.”
“I never knew there were so many,” she whispered, her eyes wide.
Carlisle turned around, dressed in another expensive outfit and looking out of place. “There are a great many more, but are within listening range,” he said. He took my hand. We pressed our foreheads together and I tried to get a read on him, but his thoughts were blocked. I looked over and Bella was wrapped up in an embrace by Esme.
Guiding Bella into the living room, we sat down. Alice arrived, looking a little disheveled and disgruntled. “Sorry about being late,” she said, her voice tired. “I was tracking a lead.”
“Was it fruitful?” Carlisle asked. Alice made a face, shaking her head. “We’ll discuss it after we have our meeting.” He walked over to the fireplace, his hands clasped behind his back. “Now, up until a few hours ago, I was in the dark, just like all of you, regarding the threat that Lucifer posed to us and to Bella. We’d seen an increase in violent crimes, more of Satan’s minions being created and recruited, and essentially preparations for a war, dangerous, deadly war. The only thing that seemed to be the impetus was Lucifer’s fascination with Isabella.” Bella trembled and I held her close, protecting her with my wings.
“Bella, did you know your father?” Esme asked.
“No. He was never around. My mom was …she was a total fucking mess,” she trailed off. “Does this have something to do with my father?”
“It wasn’t confirmed until today, but your father was an angel, a Dominion lordship,” Carlisle explained. “He was Renee’s guardian angel, to be exact. However, he had an attraction to her, a love that transcended everything. They had a moment.”
“A moment?” Bella questioned.
“Oh, Carlisle. You’re a fuddy-duddy,” Esme snorted. “They had sex. Your father didn’t think he’d be able to have children. They didn’t use protection and your mother fell pregnant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment