Saturday, April 29, 2017

Out of the Darkness Update

OOTD Chapter 19 on FicPad

OOTD Chapter 19 on AO3

OOTD Chapter 19 on Stars

OOTD Chapter 19 on FFn

OOTD Chapter 19 on Wattpad
When Bella was sleeping, I heard Carlisle call me on Sunday evening. As I got out of the bed, Felix jumped up and curled up next to Bella. “Keep her safe, bud,” I said. He whimpered and I scrubbed behind his ears. I put on some jeans and a sweater, heading outside. Spreading my wings, I took off and followed Carlisle’s call. Flying through the clouds, I landed at the summit of Mt. Rainier. “Carlisle.”

He turned, still wearing the clothes he’d had on when I saw him last. He hugged me, caressing my cheek. “You look good, son. Being in love suits you,” he said, smirking. I blushed, dropping my gaze to the snow-capped peak. “How is Bella?”

“She’s comfortable and safe with me,” I answered. “She trusts you and Alice. But, mainly you.”

“She’s a beautiful, smart, loving woman, who has had the most heinous crimes committed against her,” Carlisle growled. “The fact that she still puts herself out there, loving her children and loving you …” I shot him a look. “I felt it, Edward. In her heart, she loves you, but she’s afraid of saying it.”

“That’s because anytime she says she loves them, she gets fucked,” I growled, moving and sitting down on an outcropping of rocks. “I hate those animals who hurt her, Carlisle. I know that we should be forgiving, but I can’t forgive that. She was brutalized so horrifically that she lost the ability to have her own children.” I blinked up at him, blowing out a harsh breath. “I know that I’m officially working for you, but I have a vulnerable human asleep in my bed.”

“Your job is to keep that human safe,” Carlisle said, squeezing my shoulder. “She’s your only priority. We haven’t heard anything about Riley, but that’s probably because he’s gone off the grid. The human knows he’s got an arrest warrant for Bella’s rape. He may change his appearance, trick her … ruin her.”

“No,” I gasped, thrusting my hands into my hair. “They can’t. Hasn’t she been dealt enough?”

“That’s why you’re going to be glued to her,” Carlisle replied. “Look, I know that Alice told you, but Jasper is off the case. His heart is filled with hatred toward you. He’s very close to being recycled. I know that Alice will be upset, but she understands. She told Jasper that his future was on the line, but he can’t get it through his head to forgive you. He can’t get past what happened to him, even though you were a huge part why he was saved.”

“I realize that Jasper and I will never be friends,” I snorted. “Or even allies.”

“That’s putting it mildly,” he sighed. “I’d transfer him to another team, but his connection with Alice makes it difficult and you work so well with Alice. Probably better than Jasper, which is another bone of contention.” He sat down next to me, his skin glowing in the budding sunrise. “I may have to discuss with Michael and Gabriel before bringing it up to Him. They could have some other suggestions.” He blinked to me. “Whatever happens, we will do anything ensure that Bella and you are safe.”

“Me?” I asked.

“You’re just as much of a target as Bella,” he chuckled. “However, with this arrest warrant and his termination from his job, Riley will need time to regroup. Until then, they’ll be more frequent fly-bys and undercover angels in Bella’s life.”

“Is there anyone else we need to be wary of?” I queried. “Her ex-boss, Rose, was a piece of work.”

“She is on the fence and could be swayed to the darkness,” Carlisle murmured. “I’ll put someone on her. Check to see if she’s got protection.”

“Thanks,” I said. “Is there anything else?”

“Nothing that you can’t fix,” he replied, giving me a wry grin. “Go to your mate. She’ll wake soon and you have to go to work. She’s safe. You’re both safe. For now.”

“But not for long,” I sighed. I stood up, wiping my jeans off and turning to him. “We’ll be in touch?”

“If you need me, call,” he said, standing up and pressing his hand to my heart. I leaned against his touch, feeling more of my powers returning. Our foreheads touched. “I love you, son. Be strong and be safe.”


No comments:

Post a Comment