Saturday, September 20, 2014

Surviving the Teenage Dream Teaser

I rolled my eyes as I slid the back door open. Alice was sitting on the porch, looking more like her usual, pulled-together self. Her hair was expertly styled but she had cut it short in a bob, allowing her natural color to shine through. Her black hair was now peppered with gray hair, making her look sleek and refined. Her hazel eyes twinkled as she watched Mia, Gianna and Masen play with Max, tossing a disgusting tennis ball back and forth. “Hey, Younger,” I quipped, sitting down next to her.

“Older,” she smiled. “Did the guys tell you about Owen and Bella?”

“Yeah. Is everything okay?” I asked.

“Owen was complaining all morning about his leg. The physical therapists noticed it was swollen and warm. It may be an infection in the incision. The therapist said that antibiotics should help, but Bella wanted to get him checked out by Dr. Snow,” Alice said. “I was over anyway, having lunch with Bella when she made the call. I said I’d stay until she came back. Did you pick up Kyra?”

“Yeah. On my way back from my own therapy appointment,” I said. “I worked in the morning, doing some work for the Foundation. We’ve got a couple of centers opening in the next month or so. I was arranging for travel for Mom and Marcus, who are going in our place since Bella doesn’t want to travel and I do not want to leave my family.”

“I could go, too,” Alice murmured. “I’ve taken a leave of absence from work until I get my head screwed on straight. I’m better, but having something to focus on besides my meds or head shrinking sessions would be a nice little bonus.”

“Well, there is a site opening up in New Jersey. Mom and Marcus asked if I could go in their place because they are flying out to Italy to see Aro and his newest grandchild. They would rather have some time to pack and such before leaving. Could you do that?” I asked.

“When?” Alice answered.

“The week after my birthday,” I said. “You would fly out on a Monday, make sure that the center is ready to be opened, sign off on any requisition orders and then help coordinate the grand opening with the center’s administrator. The opening is happening on Friday.”

“I’ll do it,” she beamed. “Can I bring Gianna with me? Pending Jasper will allow me…”

“Is he fighting you for custody or visitation?” I asked.

“No. He just doesn’t trust me. Not that I blame him. I wouldn’t trust me after what I did,” Alice shrugged. “I am a horrible mother and Jasper has every right to be pissed off. I’m trying to do right by my children, but he won’t let me be with Gianna or Adam without Bella, you or the security guys around.”

“How are things going with Gianna? I know that she was…apprehensive,” I whispered, treading on dangerous ground.

“It’s slow going. It will take time, but this trip may be what we need,” Alice sighed, tucking her hair behind her ear.

“Why don’t you ask Gianna first? If she’s willing, then cross the bridge with Jasper,” I suggested. “Not to sound harsh, but Gianna may not be ready to go on a trip with you, Ali. She still feels more comfortable with Bella, me and Jasper.” Alice blushed, her eyes falling to the patio. Tears fell onto her cheeks. “Alice, I’m not saying this to be mean or to upset you, but I’m just laying out the facts.”

“You’re right,” Alice sniffled, wiping her face. “Now, I kind of know what you felt with Dad about his perception of you.”

“I don’t follow,” I said.

“Dad always took Emmett’s side whenever you were the topic of discussion. His hatred of you was apparent and your relationship with him was irrevocably damaged because it,” Alice hissed, her hands closing into tiny fists.


“Damaged? We didn’t have a relationship. He only tried to make amends after his death,” I said, arching a brow. “You do not treat Gianna like Dad treated me. His contempt of my existence oozed out of him. You love your daughter, but you lost your way and you’re trying to make it right. Like you said, though, it’s slow going. Gianna needs to know that you’re reliable, willing to be there for her. She needs to know that regardless of how you feel, you’ll drop everything to help her. She needs love, affection, guidance and reassurance, Alice. She got that from Bella and me while you were gone. Jasper tried, but he was not the mother she desperately wanted. Bella and Kyra stepped into those shoes. You have to…you have to be patient.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment