Friday, December 27, 2013

Surviving the Teenage Dream Teaser



“How are you doing, Edward?” I asked, cupping his chin. I forced his golden eyes to look into mine. “I miss you.”

“I’m getting better, gorgeous,” he said, his lips quirking up into a crooked grin. “I never expected the death of Emmett to hit me this hard. I mean, he made my life hell for thirty some odd years and then he’s put to death by lethal injection and my ultimate tormentor is gone. I should be leaping for joy, but my heart feels empty.”

“Imagine how you would feel if you hadn’t gone to see him, Edward?” I said, brushing his hair away from his forehead. “Would you still feel this way?”

“I’d probably feel worse. Guilt on top of the emptiness,” he said, tugging on my hands. I sat down on his lap, wrapping my arms around his neck. “I’m starting to feel more and more normal. It just is hitting me hard that Emmett’s gone. He’s buried next to my father, who he killed. Talk about a sick twist of fate.”

“Carlisle must be rolling in his grave,” I snorted.

“I can only imagine,” Edward said as he kissed my lips softly. “Thank you for letting me grieve in my own way, gorgeous. You didn’t hover and I truly appreciate everything you’ve done for me while I turned into a morose, cantankerous old man.”

“We’re all entitled to those moments, Edward. At least you didn’t try to control our children, the dog and me while turning into a morose, cantankerous old man,” I snickered.

“Yeah, I’m not my sister,” Edward grumbled. “Speaking of which, she’s asking to spend some time with you.”

“Ugh, I’m really not in the mood to have my flaws aired out again,” I said, wrinkling my nose. “It’s bad enough we’re dealing with teenage girl drama that I also have to deal with menopausal woman drama?”

“What’s this teenage girl drama you’re talking about?” Edward asked.

“Mackenzie and her crew are making Kyra’s life hellacious. It’s taking bullying to a whole new level, Edward. Her cell phone was riddled with hateful messages from blocked numbers. Kyra refuses to let me do anything about it,” I said, frowning deeply. “But, my baby girl, her light is slowly dwindling. She’s even pulling away from Thomas.”

“I’m not complaining about that,” Edward smirked. “We may be old, but we’re too young to be grandparents.”

“Speak for yourself, you morose, cantankerous old man,” I teased.

No comments:

Post a Comment