Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Ilha do Amor Teaser

I walked to Marcus’ office, knocking on the door. He was on the phone, his normally poised demeanor was gone. He looked completely ruffled and lost. He was pacing the length of his tiny office as he chattered on the phone. The cord was completely wrapped around his slender body.

“I’ve got to call you back,” he barked into the phone.

“Are you okay?” I asked as he tried, unsuccessfully, to untangle himself. “Stop. You’re making it worse.” I unhooked the receiver and had him spin a few times. “Here. Why is my normally calm boss having a heart attack at eight in the morning on a Monday?”

“Well, a few reasons,” he said, indicating to the chair. I sat down, arching a brow and waiting for him to speak. “The first reason obviously affects you. You’ve probably already guessed it.”

“Patricia is on bed rest?” I asked.

“Bingo. You’re now here permanently. Congratulations,” Marcus said, waving his hands. “Good news over, now on to the bad news.”

“Should I just run in the other direction?” I quipped.

“Please don’t,” Marcus whimpered. “There has been a change in the editorial staff here. It came out of nowhere. Our new editor-in-chief is a man who single-handedly ruined the Chicago Sun Times. But, shhhh, don’t say anything. Rumors have been floating around that any department heads could be out of a job. I’m number one on the fire list.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m very liberal and the man who was hired is extremely conservative. The news should be just that…the news. Not slanted in either the liberal or conservative direction. Editorials are different, but for the most part, it should be the statement of facts without bias. Unfortunately, this guy wants us to only take the conservative viewpoint. Look at the news through a right-wing 
scope.”

“If he’s so bad, why was he hired?” I asked, confused by the change in leadership.

“The other editor-in-chief was ready to retire. The new guy was available and they worked out a deal. Bella, we’ve got to stay under the radar.”

“That’s going to be difficult, Marcus. I’m writing a political column, now. I can’t focus all of my attention on the republican or conservative candidates. We have to be fair and give both sides equal time,” I argued.

“My sentiments exactly,” Marcus grumbled.

No comments:

Post a Comment