Thursday, July 18, 2013

Surviving the Teenage Dream Teaser

“Wait a minute. You and music?” Owen asked, his brows shooting to his hairline.

“Yeah. I can play the piano and sing. I’ve dabbled with a guitar but not too much,” I said, looking at Owen. “Didn’t you know that?”

“No!” they both laughed.

“I’m assuming you want to hear proof?”

“Yes,” they smirked, dragging me away from the table and into the music room. I sat down at the piano and began playing ‘Breath of Heaven,’ by Amy Grant. I was not as talented as Edward but I was proud of what I was able to do. Now, we are not overly religiously people but the music and melody of the song was beautiful. My boys were enraptured with my singing and I struggled to get to the end of the song. I faltered and Edward’s hands took over, giving such a beautiful smile as I finished singing the song with his accompanying me.

“Do you know that song, Daddy? With the cold? It’s a duet?” Mia asked, bouncing on her toes. Kyra rolled her eyes but smiled at her sister’s enthusiasm.

“When did you guys get back?” I asked.

“Right after you started playing,” Edward answered, kissing my cheek.

“Mom, you’re really good,” Owen said, his eyes dreamy and his smile genuine.

“Your dad’s better,” I smiled, elbowing my husband. “Come on, angel. Play, ‘Baby, It’s Cold Outside.’”


“Yes ma’am,” he smiled and began moving his hand easily over the keyboard, playing some smooth jazzy chords. I swayed on the piano bench as Edward accompanied us. The kids sat down and we had our Norman Rockwell moment. It was sweet, amazing and so romantic. 




No comments:

Post a Comment