Saturday, May 25, 2013

A Prescription for Love Teaser


My cell phone vibrated on my hip. I didn’t recognize the number but I picked up. “Dr. Cullen,” I said quietly.

“Dr. Cullen, this is Captain Barbosa with the Chicago Police Department,” he said. “We understand that there is a hostage situation in the hospital. The phone in the ER has been disconnected. Where is your location?”

“North end of the building,” I hissed. “One of our captors asked us to gather various drugs all around the hospital. We outsmarted him. He’s unconscious on the ICU floor in the maintenance room.”

“What was the name?”

“Jacob Black,” I answered tersely. “Can you see inside of the ER? Can you see two women in there?”

“No. Charles moved them into one of the trauma rooms, away from the windows,” Captain Barbosa explained. “Before they moved, I saw one woman look very bloodied.”

“What did she look like?” I asked. “Short black hair or long brown hair?”

“Long brown hair,” Captain Barbosa said quietly. “She was moving slowly and looked really out of it, Dr. Cullen.”

“Fuck!” I spat, running my hand through my hair. “What should we do?”

“We’ve got a SWAT team getting into position but we won’t make a move until nightfall. Our suggestion is for you to get out of there. We need you safe. We’ve already had one casualty.”

“Who?”

“A patient that had to be airlifted to Northwestern Memorial. They coded en route. The doctors said that if the patient had not been moved, they would have been fine but the stress of the transfer was too much,” Captain Barbosa sighed.

“Edward! Charlie’s going apeshit! I think he suspects something,” Garrett hissed to me, pulling me behind the receptionist’s desk.

I put in my Bluetooth headset and slipped my cell phone into my pocket. “Charlie is not happy, Captain. He must be aware that something is not right.” I could hear him screaming, proclaiming Jacob to be a worthless piece of shit. He rambled on and on about Jacob’s mistakes. “He’s escalating, sir. I’m terrified that he’s going to do something to Alice and Bella.”

No comments:

Post a Comment