Monday, December 31, 2012

A Prescription for Love Teaser


“Dr. McGovern, here’s the surgical consult,” said the nurse tech.

“Thank you,” he said. “Victim is a fifteen year old boy with five bullet wounds. Three of those wounds were in the torso. One collapsed his left lung. Nurse Swan and I placed a chest tube to reinflate the lung. I performed a pericardiocentesis to relieve some blood off the boy’s heart but his heart rate dropped. The bullet is lodged near his heart. I didn’t want to crack his chest unless absolutely necessary.”

“Good call, Dr. McGovern,” said the surgeon. “We’ll take it from here. Good work and welcome to County.”

“Thank you,” he said as he nodded to the surgeon. The boy was wheeled out of the room. He peeled off his gloves, tossing them into the garbage and leaned against the counter. “I’m so going to kick Edward’s ass.”

“Why? Because he challenged you?” I quipped, putting the unused supplies away.

He pursed his lips. “Yes.” I shot him a look. “But, I’m happy he called me. I think I’m going to like it here. Are all of the nurses as fucking awesome as you?”

“Fucking awesome?” I laughed. “I don’t know. I wouldn’t go that far. Besides, there are some nurses that are questionable. We had a situation where we lost some senior staff members and we’re ‘rebuilding.’”

“The drug scandal? I know. Edward told me,” Garrett shuddered. “That shit scares me. Doctors peddling controlled substances…that’s so many shades of fucked up. It goes against our most sacred oath.”

“First do no harm,” I quoted.

“Right,” Garrett said.

Edward burst into the trauma room and looked at us. “So, did he kill the patient?” he asked.

“Nope. Sent him off to surgery,” I replied. “I like him. I think we should keep him.”

“I don’t know,” Edward said, arching a brow at his friend. “Looking at this ugly mug day in and day out, that’s gonna be tough.”

“Fuck off, fucker. You called me. You begged me. ‘Garrett? Please, I need a right hand man! Please? I can’t do this without you!’” Garrett squealed.

“Don’t make me hurt you,” Edward deadpanned. 

Garrett

No comments:

Post a Comment