Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Next Chapter Teaser...


Edward shocked me when he poured himself and me a glass of wine. Usually when he had alcohol, it meant he had a bad day at the hospital. “What’s wrong?” I asked as I took my glass of wine.

“Dr. Gerandy, the doctor that was passed over for the chief position, is asking for his job back,” Edward explained as he sipped his wine. “There is some issues going on with him and his family. But, I think there’s something more. He’s tried to apply at other hospitals but they won’t interview him. I’ve had several institutions contacting me about his departure from Craven and I told them that he resigned on his own accord. Something’s fishy about the whole situation. I don’t know what it is but it’s bugging me.”

“Have you talked to his co-workers in the ER?” I asked.

“I was one of those co-workers. Fuck, I was his boss,” Edward replied. “Nothing stuck out at me that anything was wrong. But, I will speak with the staff in the ER. See if they know what’s going on with Gerandy. Now, tell me about you. You’ve got the furrow.”

“What?”

“This thing,” he said as he smoothed the divot between my eyebrows. “You only get that when you’re thinking really hard or if you’re pissed off. Which one is it?”

“Both,” I sighed, cuddling closer to him. “At the store today, I ran into my mom.”

“Please tell me you called the cops,” Edward said flatly.

“I didn’t. She just wanted to ‘talk,’” I said, using air quotes around the word, talk. “I don’t trust her, Edward. But she’s pulling the grandkids card. I told her that I’d meet her for lunch with Esme as a referee but I’d have to get in touch with her. If she shows up for lunch, I would consider her request to spend some time with the kids.”

“I don’t like it,” Edward said. “From the stories you’ve told me, Renee thinks about one thing and one thing only. That’s Renee.”

“I agree,” I sighed. “But, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. I mean, these are her grandchildren…”

“I trust you, beautiful girl,” he cooed, kissing my forehead. “When do you want to have lunch with her?”

“The next day off you have,” I explained.

“That’s tomorrow,” he chuckled.

“Okay, the next one after that,” I giggled. “I want you to stay with the kids because Esme is going to be with me.”

“Gotcha. I’m on until next Saturday,” he replied. “Does that work?” I nodded and wrapped my arms around his waist. I sighed heavily, dreading what was coming but I wanted to give my mom a chance. “You don’t have to do this, Bella. I can feel how tense you are.”

“I’m not doing this for me. I’m doing this for our children,” I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment