Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Geek's Guide to Parenthood Teaser


After I left Marcus’ villa on their wedding day, I had a feeling in my belly that something was going to go wrong. I got into the waiting car and my chest constricted. As we drove away, I rubbed my chest and I tried to calm myself. But I was so worried about Bella. Not that I would say this to her face, but she had put on a ton of weight in the past few days. Her face looked bloated and her feet were so swollen. Even more so than a regular pregnant woman. I tried to shake the overwhelming dread I felt but couldn’t.

I guess I’d have to put on my game face and fake it.

I got to Aro’s estate and was razzed by my brothers. However, Alex noticed my expression and pretty much told them all to fuck off. I thanked him before I went to change. I slipped on my tuxedo and went out on the back patio with my brothers, Alex, Marcus and his brothers. Alex took my hand and gave it a squeeze.

“You okay, Edward?” he asked quietly.

“No. Something’s wrong with Bella,” I said as I ran my fingers through my hair. “She doesn’t look right. I mean, she’s gorgeous, but she’s gained weight and she looks bloated.”

“Perhaps she’s not used to the food,” Demetri offered. “She was sick the first night we were in Italy.”

“No. It’s more than that,” I replied. “Maybe I’m overreacting, but this is my wife and child I’m talking about.”

“Ignore them, Edward,” Caius said. “They are ignorant stronzo.”

“Yes, they are assholes,” I said, shooting a furious glare at Jasper and Demetri. They apologized and we shared cigars on the patio. Or rather, they did. I politely refused. We hung out until it was time to head to the church. We piled into Caius’ huge SUV and drove to the ornate church where Marcus and Esme were getting married. We waited for the girls to arrive. Once they did, the service began pretty quickly.
When I saw my wife, she was teary eyed and appeared to be uncomfortable. She was shifting in her shoes as we moved down the aisle. I didn’t pay attention to the service. I just kept a watchful eye on Bella. She was fading fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment