Saturday, February 19, 2022

Blockbuster Teaser

 “Bells, come on. You’ve been typing on that damn computer for hours. Let’s go out for lunch,” Jasper said.

“I’m stuck on this third book,” I grumped. “I have to get past this slump.”

“We can brainstorm, Swan. Come on,” Jasper huffed, closing my laptop, and dragging me away from the desk. I scowled at him. “Seriously, Bella. You’re going to go cross-eyed. It’s a beautiful spring day. I want to go out to eat with my favorite girl.”

“I thought you were dating, Maggie, or Margie or whatever,” I deadpanned.

“Too whiney,” Jasper shrugged, looping my arm through his and guiding me out of the publishing office. “I’m taking a break from dating. Every woman I’ve dated has been a train wreck. Too needy, too whiney, too slutty, too manipulative, too drunk, too dumb … the list goes on.”

“Don’t hold back,” I snickered as I got into his Tesla. “Where are you taking me for lunch?”

“I’m in the mood for seafood,” Jasper answered. “We’re going to Pier 39 to Fog Harbor Fish House.”

We drove from the publishing house to Pier 39. Parking the car, we walked to Fog Harbor. It was a beautiful day. The sun was warm, but the air was cool. Jasper sashayed a table outside, overlooking the hoard of seals that the pier was famous for. “I think we need wine,” Jasper suggested.

“What are you talking about? Jasper, I have to go back to work. So do you! We can’t drink wine,” I chided.

“Oh, did I tell you? We’re taking a half day. I’m trying to woo you to extend your contract with the publishing company,” Jasper said, flagging down a server. “A bottle of Conundrum, please. Also, a serving of crab cakes, blue cheese garlic bread and red chili garlic shrimp to start.”

“Of course, sir,” the server grinned.

“Jasper,” I hissed. “Are you serious? I’m not going anywhere. I’m happy with how the publishing house represents me. They’re flexible and understanding with my limitations. Besides, I got you a huge bonus when I signed the contract with Summit to produce my film. So did the publisher.”

“Work with me, Swan. We both know that you’re not going anywhere, but I’m going to expense this meal,” Jasper snickered. “Yes, I can afford this, but I wanted to spoil my favorite author on the whole planet!”

“You are so full of shit,” I laughed as the server came back with the bottle of wine and a basket of rolls. We both had a glass of wine poured, leaving the bottle in a bucket of ice. “Seriously though, what’s the deal? Why are we out here as opposed to working?”

“Part of it is giving you a few hours away from the office. I know you’re overwhelmed with the movie, the stressors of the book conventions and trying to finish up your works in progress. The other part is that we haven’t had a moment to talk since that day when you got the letter from Child Protective Services,” Jasper explained. “Edward took over, protecting you and Seth.” Jasper gave me a gentle smile. “He’s so good for you.”

“I don’t know what I would have done without him,” I murmured, sipping my wine. “I’m just terrified that I’m becoming too reliant on him.”

“Bells, you’ve had to do so much on your own,” Jasper breathed. “You never had anyone to rely on. Now, you do. You have me, my twin sister, her husband, Caius and most importantly, Edward. He’s in this for the long haul.”

“I don’t understand why he hasn’t run for the hills,” I snorted humorlessly.

“I don’t understand why you think he’s going to run for the hills,” Jasper argued. “Bells, he loves you. So much. The only person I’ve seen love another person more is Emmett adoring my sister. Even Edward’s devotion to you eclipses Emmett.” I arched a brow at him. “Bella, I get that you’re so used to fighting everything on your own, but you’re not alone. Not anymore.”





No comments:

Post a Comment