Monday, June 25, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Teaser


I was working out, running in the fitness center of my building. Jake was doing some strength training. I was trying not to think about the beautiful woman who had captured my heart, my soul. All I wanted to do was to call her, steal her away and solve all her problems. I’d discussed one problem with Charlie in regard to be the investor for the bakery. I’d already put wheels into motion when I contacted my financial advisor in Gevalia, transferring money from my private funds for the renovations.

However, when my father discovered the movement of funds and it made for an interesting call at like three this morning.

“What are you doing, Masen?” he asked, his tone wry when he woke me out of restless sleep.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Father,” I said, scrubbing my face.

“My financial advisor said that you were doing some shifting around in your accounts,” he chuckled. “What’s going on?”

“Don’t get upset, but I’ve met someone,” I replied, a crooked smile spreading over my face.

“Are you paying a hooker?” Dad hissed. “Edward Anthony Masen Cullen, don’t make me come over to the states to tan your hide!”

“What?! Fuck! No! Dad, are you kidding me?” I growled. “This girl, Isabella, is the farthest thing from a hooker imaginable. She’s a baker and sole blood winner for her family. Her father is sick with Parkinson’s disease and they’ve accrued a large amount of debt due to his diagnosis. I’ve already spoken with her father. I’m investing in their bakery.”

“Giving her money?” he asked. “Masen … I don’t like this.”

“I’m investing. Her father was adamant that it was a loan,” I argued, sitting up and leaning forward on my knees. “I know you think I’m being foolish.”

“Masen, you are never capable of being foolish,” Dad sighed. “I’m just worried that you’re going to be hurt or …”

“Or, I’ll become tabloid fodder, like Emmett,” I grumbled. “Dad, everything about this girl … she’s smart, funny, selfless and beautiful. Did you see the picture in the newspaper?”

“I did and I hid it from your mother – she’s on a tear about Emmett’s choices, anxious to lash out at you. You dancing with some unnamed beauty? She’d come kick your ass. Though, even though it didn’t show her face, but she seems like a perfect match for you,” Dad breathed. “Is she Gevalian?”

“She is. Not a hundred percent, but she’s a majority,” I breathed. “And she’s never been married.”

“You love her,” Dad said, his smile evident.

“So much it hurts,” I answered, picturing Bella in my arms. I looked to where she lay in my bed two nights ago. I remembered her warm body curled against me, how relaxed she was in my arms. “Dad, you have to trust me. I’m not going into this blind. I want to do this. I need to do this.”

“Who am I to deny you, son?” he chuckled. “I’d like to know more about Isabella.”

“Understandable, but not now. It’s three in the morning and I’d like to go back to sleep,” I replied.

“I’d forgotten about the time change. It’s nearly one in the afternoon here,” Dad said. “I love you, son.”

“Before we hang up, how’s Emmett?” I asked.



Carlisle Cullen

No comments:

Post a Comment