Friday, May 18, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Update

AMDFT Chapter 10 on FicPad

AMDFT Chapter 10 on FFn

AMDFT Chapter 10 on Stars

AMDFT Chapter 10 on AO3

AMDFT Chapter 10 on Wattpad


I didn’t have anything planned on Thursday, the day after my date with Bella. I called my family, checking in with my mother and telling her about my diplomatic dealings, party plans, and discussions with United States officials about a trade agreement, which were still in the planning stages. I also spoke briefly with my father, asking how Emmett was doing. As far as we knew, he was headlong in detox, and was a complete mess. He’d been checked into Four Circles under an assumed name, but I knew that it wouldn’t be long before the paparazzi found out about Emmett’s drug problem and his time at the rehabilitation center. I prayed it was later rather sooner, but it was an inevitablity. I already had a statement drafted for when that situation arose, ready to send and to cover our asses.

By mid-afternoon, I was chomping at the bit, bored out of my mind and anxious to see my beautiful Bella. I had a name of a locksmith to repair the doorway of the bakery, but Jake could do the work since he was so handy. I didn’t need to run background checks on him and I definitely trusted him.  So, I finally stomped into Jake’s room, eager to see the girl who was consuming my every thought. He didn’t seem surprised when I requested, “Car, please?”

“Brooklyn, I assume,” he deadpanned. I arched a deadly, royal brow. “Dude, you’re so whipped.”

“So, are you,” I quipped back, tossing him the keys. “What wouldn’t you do for Leah? Hmmmm? And if there was something, anything that prevented Leah’s safety, you’d fix it, right?”

“Okay, I’ll admit, that door is pissing me off. Come on. I’ll fix it. Heaven forbid we get your royal hands dirty,” Jake said, walking over to his closet and pulling out a huge toolbox. I grinned happily. “Along with being your driver, I’m also your handyman. We just need to stop at a store to pick up a new doorknob. The things I do for your royal ass.” He rolled his eyes dramatically, but his smile was apparent.

“Jake, you’re awesome,” I beamed.

“Name your first kid after me, your princeliship,” Jake snickered. I scowled at Jake and he just laughed. “Let’s go.”  

We rode down to the garage, clambering into the car. It was dreary today, colder and rainy. I shivered in my jacket as we drove to Brooklyn and parked across the street from the bakery. We walked inside, finding it nearly empty. Bella was sitting at a table, her head buried over some ledger books, wearing the most adorable pair of glasses, while Charlie was flipping through a ragged notebook, seemingly a book of recipes. I cleared my throat and Bella looked up, her eyes twinkling and a smile spreading over her haggard face.

Did she sleep at all last night?

“Masen,” she breathed, removing her glasses, getting up and smoothing her clothing. She wore a loose, men’s button-down and some leggings. The possessive asshole in me got upset at seeing her in another man’s clothes, but I noticed it was older and close to Charlie’s size. I walked over to her, hugging her tightly. I could feel the tension in her muscles and she clung to me. “This is a pleasant surprise,” she whispered, her voice shaking and sad.

“I wanted to see you,” I whispered back. “And my driver said he’d look at your door. He’s a bit handy.”

“Oh, that’s not necessary,” Bella spluttered, looking at Jake, who had already begun removing the old doorknob. “Really … we’ll fix it.”

“What’s wrong with the doorknob?” Charlie asked, ambling toward us, leaning heavily on a cane.

“Alice got locked out and she jimmied the door. It won’t lock. It happened two years ago,” Bella answered, shooting her father a remorseful look. Charlie’s lips thinned. “It’s not like we had the money to fix it, Dad.”

“My girls are working down here in a shop without a functioning lock?” he growled. He blinked to Jacob and put his hands on his hips. “What’ll this cost me?”

“Some coffee and a bagel,” Jake answered, grimacing as he held up the destroyed knob, tossing into the garbage. “Maybe a muffin?” He looked up at Charlie. “It’s not a big deal. I’ll get this installed and you’ll be set with two new keys.”

“Okay,” Charlie nodded. “Is it a double lock? If something happened to either of my girls ...”

“I got the best lock out there, Mr. Swan,” Jake said. “Short of a thumb print ID, along with a retinal scan.” Charlie rolled his eyes, harrumphing.







No comments:

Post a Comment