Monday, April 30, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Teaser


Masen walked me back to the bakery and he hugged me tightly. “I’ll pick you up here on Wednesday, cherie,” he said. I blushed at his nickname for me. With his accent, it did tingly things to my insides. “Seven?”

“Okay,” I nodded. “I’m pretty certain that my dad is reading my sister the riot act. She’ll work after school, working on making the goods for the next morning. But, I can’t stay super late. Eleven, at the latest.”

“That’s doable,” he smiled. He caressed my cheek and pressed a kiss to my forehead. “And I’ll call you. At the bakery. Does it have a speaker phone option? You can talk while you work?”

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“But, get some rest today,” he chided. He opened the door and helped me into the bakery. Alice was at the till, ringing up customers. She was being somewhat pleasant, but her dark eyes cut to mine angrily as I walked inside. “It was a pleasure, Miss Swan.”

“Bella, you can take over,” Alice said, removing the apron.

“No, she’s going upstairs. She didn’t sleep the night before and last night, she hovered over me like a mother hen. You can run the shop today, Alice. I’ll stay and help,” Dad growled. “Take the afternoon, Bells.” I nodded. I hugged Masen again and I saw my dad scuffle toward him. I went upstairs and strode past my ‘bed’ and went to my dad’s bedroom. I set the alarm on his night stand, crashing as soon as my head hit the pillow.

When I woke up, a few hours later, I felt better. I made dinner for my family. I also picked up the landline and dialed Angela’s number. I’d pushed everyone away when my dad got sick, but now, I can’t do this on my own. I needed help. The phone rang, and she picked up. “Hello?”

“Hey, Angela. It’s, um, Bella,” I said, grimacing. “Um, Bella Swan?”

“Oh, my word, Bella!” she squealed. “It’s been so long! Are you teaching? Last, I heard, you had come back to New York to help with your dad, but you were so smart, and you were destined for great things.”

“Well, I’m still in New York, working at the bakery,” I shrugged. “Dad’s not doing so good and I figured I stay at home, helping with the bakery and such.”

“Bella, are you okay?” Angela asked, her voice more somber.

I opened my mouth, ready to say that I was fine, but tears began streaming down my cheeks. “Not really, Ang,” I sniffled. “I’m sorry that I haven’t reached out to you before, but …”

“Girl, you know I love you,” Angela said. “Look, I’m working right now. I want to see you. Are you going to be at the bakery tomorrow?”

“Where else would I be?” I asked, sounding bitter.

“We need to chat, Bella,” Angela said. “I’ll be down after the morning rush, about ten?”

“I’ll need to work in the back, but that works,” I said, a tentative smile spreading over my face. “Hair back, Angela.”

“I’ve got this chic new bob, but I’ll pin it back,” she quipped. “Love you, girl. I’m sorry that I … I should have checked on you.”

“It’s not your fault, Angela. I’m just as much to blame,” I whispered.

“We’ll talk about it tomorrow, Bella,” she said. “I’m just glad you called. I’ve missed you. I’ll see you tomorrow, sweetie.”


Angela's hair


Angela 

No comments:

Post a Comment