Monday, March 5, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Teaser


Looking down at the mounting bills, I tried to keep tears from falling from my eyes. We owed money to the bank for our mortgage, Sal for repairing our ovens, my father’s medical bills for his weekly physical therapy, our electric bill, phone bill and our rent, which, thankfully, was rent-controlled. I didn’t get paid so we could cover the costs and living expenses for our family. But, my biggest fear, losing the bakery that had been in our family for four generations, was sadly coming to fruition. With the growing pile of debt, I feared we’d never get out of this without declaring bankruptcy.

And let’s not forget my student loans … but that was a whole other can of worms. Thankfully, I’d been able to defer some payment due to my financial situation, but that was another bill waiting to be paid and be paid soon.

Scrubbing my eyes, I sat back and took a few calming breaths. It was close to midnight. I’d have to be back down at The Swan Family Bakery, Inc. in 1897 by four tomorrow morning to prepare for the morning rush. We were one of the few remaining family bakeries in our tiny neighborhood in Brooklyn. There were two Jewish bakeries and then ours, which specialized in Italian delicacies and some Gevalian treats, calling on my great-grandfather’s heritage. It was a blend of Italian sweets, French baked goods and Gevalian chocolate. I also had an espresso maker, cappuccino maker and a fridge with sodas, but we were barely scraping by. 

“Isabella, sweet girl, you need to go to sleep,” said my father, Charlie. “Staring at the bills will not make them magically go away.”

“We need a million bucks, Pop,” I said, standing up and walking out of the tiny office. “Or more. We have enough to cover the mortgage, electric bill, our standing order with the grocer and Sal, but we may have to ask the doctor for an extension on your therapy bills and I’ll cancel my cell phone. I’m here most of the time, anyway. You can reach me here.”

Charlie, with a trembling hand, frowned deeply and patted my cheek. “You should not be shouldering this burden, sweet girl,” he said, his voice tired, weary. “All of this would be so much easier if it weren’t for my medical expenses and Alice’s inability to understand that we’re struggling.”

“I’ve talked to her, but she keeps bitching that I’m not her fucking mother,” I growled, turning off the lights in the office and following my father up the steep stairs to our two-bedroom apartment. Alice, the selfish cow she is, took the bedroom that we once shared after I moved out for college and I was relegated to the couch when I moved back home after my dad was first diagnosed, just after I’d accepted a position teaching in Connecticut. It was a nice apartment, just under a thousand square feet with hardwood floors and antique charm. Our furniture was old, but well-maintained and it was homey, warm and comfortable.

“She is an entitled little snot,” Charlie grumbled. “I love my baby girl because she’s so much like your mother.”

“Mom wasn’t spoiled like this, Daddy,” I argued. “She worked right beside you until she went into labor with Alice. She worked hard.”

“This is true, but Alice’s ambition is just like your mother,” Charlie snorted. He kissed my cheek. “Why don’t you take my room?”

“If I do, you won’t be able to walk for days, Dad,” I said. “The doctor said you need the support. I’ll be fine.” I hugged him and watched as he shuffled to his room. I went to the bathroom, stripping out of my dusty clothes and pulling on some pajamas. Brushing my teeth, I went back to the living room and tugged out the bedding from the chest we used as a cocktail table. I made my ‘bed’ and set my alarm on the phone that I was canceling tomorrow because we needed the money. I’d rather cancel Alice’s phone. It had unlimited text, data and minutes, but she’d bitch if she didn’t have her phone.

She’d bitch about every damn thing if it were up to her.
Swan Family Bakery (Manip made by Clo Rodeffer)

Apartment above the bakery, Living Room

Charlie's Bedroom

Bella Swan

Charlie Swan

Alice Swan


2 comments: