Friday, February 23, 2018

Picking Up The Pieces Teaser

Sorry that it's a day late ... I went to bed at like eight last night. I was completely bushed. Still am, to be honest, but here's the teaser for Picking Up The Pieces. 


“Thank you for coming in, Ms. McCormick,” I smiled, shaking the hand of the prospective first grade teacher. She’d been the fourth candidate we’d interviewed. “We’ll let you know by the end of the week, one way or the other.”

“I appreciate the opportunity, Ms. Black, Mrs. Whitlock,” she chirped, gathering her portfolio and bag before leaving Alice’s office. “I look forward to hearing from you!”

She left the school and I arched a brow at my friend. “What do you think?” I asked, looking up from my notes about Ms. McCormick.

“She’s the best option out of the four we’ve interviewed,” Alice said. “She seems capable and kind. The other three? Yeesh!”

“Oh, I know. The one before Ms. McCormick? He was an odd duck,” I quipped.

“Quack, quack,” Alice said, rolling her eyes. “What’s on tap next, Hells Bells?”

“We have one more interview this afternoon for my old position and then we interview next week for the opening on the fifth-grade team and group interviews for the music teacher to be shared between our school and Forks Middle School,” I said, checking my planner.

“We also need to finish figuring out the class lists,” Alice sighed. “But, we can’t do that until we have all of the teachers hired.” She leaned her cheek against the table. “My head hurts. Can I go home now?”

“No, Alice,” I snickered. “We’ve got another three hours to go.”

“Can we take a three-hour lunch?” she quipped.

“A half hour, girlie,” I said. “Besides, you said that if we take a shorter lunch, we can close up shop early. You have dogs to get home to. I have two children.”

“And a hot cop,” she giggled.

“Alice,” I said, shaking my head.

“What? He is hot! I mean, love my Jazzy, but Deputy Sexy is definitely on my list,” Alice said, waggling her brows.

“Oh, shit! The list,” I snickered. “I’d forgotten about that!”

“Yep, our five freebies from our significant others. If those people offered us one night, our boyfriends and spouses would give us a free pass,” Alice said. “Mine are Deputy Sexy, his father because Dr. Cullen all sorts of hot for a DILF, Jackson Rathbone, that emo vampire from Twilight …”

“Really, Alice?” I deadpanned.

“Don’t hate! He reminds me of my Jazzy, but with more muscles,” Alice said, smacking my arm. “I love my husband, but he’s a pencil-pushing shrink. He’s so scrawny! I’ve tried to get him to work out, but he’d rather have his nose stuck in a book than pumping iron.”

“So, Jackson Rathbone has two first-class tickets to the gun show?” I snorted.

Alice nodded. “Anyway … rounding out my top five, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom …”

“More hunks,” I giggled.

“Hush! I like muscles, but I wouldn’t trade them at all for my Jazzy. One night only with those muscles … Jasper is big where it’s important,” Alice said, waggling her brows.

“Oh, lord,” I choked out. “Really Ali-cat? We’re at work. We see children, impressionable young minds, in this building and you’re talking about your husband’s …” I trailed off, gesturing to my crotch. “There are boundaries and you’ve clearly crossed them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment