Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Shaky Ground Teaser

“Isabella Swan, you look like you’re about to keel over,” Shelly chided. “Girl, were you out too late last night?”

“It’s a long story,” Bella yawned, sipping her third espresso for the shift. It wasn’t cutting it. “But, I was up too late, not doing anything productive.” Instead, I was helping Dr. Asshole, who acted like a royal asshole this morning. Why the fuck do I subject myself to that kind of abuse? Regular sex? Psssh … Shaking her head, she looked at Shelly, “My eyes are turning to sandpaper. We’re pretty dead. I’m going to crash in the on-call room. Page me if you need me.”

“Got it, Dr. Swan,” Shelly nodded, smiling softly at the beautiful young doctor. She turned back to the computer, checking on the status of several patients’ tests. As she was doing that, she looked up and saw someone standing in front of her at the nurse’s station, their back turned. “Sir, if you need to be seen, you’ll need to check in with the triage nurse, first.”

He turned around and Shelly was shocked to see Dr. Masen. His nose was swollen and he had two black eyes along with a bandage on his eyebrow. He looked like hell. “Dr. Masen, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you were coming in today.”

“I’m off and making arrangements to take some time off. I was in an accident and I’m a little whoozy,” he chuckled. “Look, do you know where Dr. Swan is?”

“She went to lay down in the on-call room. The poor dear looked exhausted,” Shelly tutted. That’s when she saw two cups of coffee in his hands. Her mind was reeling, thinking about the possibility of Dr. Masen and the gorgeous Isabella Swan becoming a couple. With a coy grin, she replied, “She just left. She may not be asleep yet. But, be kind to her. She’s the most experienced doctor on the floor, acting as an attending.”

“I could stay,” Edward said.

“She looked exhausted, but you look like shit, Dr. Masen. And I say that with the utmost respect,” Shelly snickered. Edward smirked and agreed with her. She shooed him down the hallway.

He used his key to open the on-call room. It was empty, save for the bed furthest from the door. Edward walked over to the bed, sitting down and looked down at Isabella. She was already in a deep sleep, looking so much younger than her twenty-nine years. Edward put down the coffee and stared at her, feeling a bit like a creeper. When he was with her, Edward didn’t feel as empty. The pain diminished and he liked it. He reached forward, caressing her pale cheek and reveling in the softness of her skin. Bella hummed, snuggling further into the pillow. Blowing out a breath, he gently shook her. “Dr. Swan?”

“Dr. Swan’s not here right now. Leave a message at the beep,” she quipped sleepily. “Beep!”

“Isabella,” Edward said a little louder. Bella blinked and looked at him, her pretty face in a scowl. “May I turn on the light?”

“I’m trying to get some sleep, Masen,” she snapped. He flipped on the lamp on the side table, making her eyes squint. “I was too busy taking care of your ungrateful ass …”

“That’s why I’m here,” Edward said.

“To make me more exhausted?” Bella growled.

“No, Bel-Isabella,” Edward said, blowing out a breath. “First off, to apologize for how I acted this morning. I was a jerk.” Bella arched a brow. “More than a jerk. You didn’t deserve my ire and I’m very sorry for how I treated you. You helped me more than I probably deserved. I look like hell, but my nose doesn’t hurt and the sutures on my brow are probably better than any plastic surgeon could have done.” She didn’t say anything, just stared at him stonily. “Secondly, I wanted to thank you for checking on me. Had I known you were working a double tonight, I would have insisted you drive me to my parents’ home.”


“Masen, it’s not a big deal,” she said. “Yes, you were an asshole, but I’m getting used to your mood swings. Though, they give me whip lash.” She huffed out a breath as she sat up, examining his nose. “Any trouble breathing?”

“Not after I removed the packing,” Edward answered. “It’ll be crooked, but whatever. It’ll give my face character.”

3 comments:

  1. I want the chapter now please lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, well, well. Dr. Asshole really apologized and he even gave Shelly a smile! Good! Looks like his wall is slowly diminishing :) When will you give us this chapter? Waiting here...

    ReplyDelete