Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The One That Got Away Teaser

Edward stayed with Bella until Charlie came back with Sue. Charlie gave Edward a scowl and Edward tightened his arms around Bella. She snuggled closer, giving her dad a tiny grin. Sue breezed in, putting food into the fridge. “Thank you for lunch, Charlie. I’ll see you tomorrow at work. Bella, I’m sorry that you felt sick. Feel better, sweetie.” She brushed a hair away from Bella’s face. “You have my number if you want to talk.”

“Thanks, Sue,” Bella muttered. Sue nodded, kissing Charlie before she left.

“You have some nerve showing your face here,” Charlie snarled.

“Daddy, it wasn’t Edward’s fault,” Bella snapped. “Thank you for coming up with an excuse for me; getting me out of lunch. I just want up to seeing anybody.”

“It’s okay, baby girl,” Charlie said, sitting on the other side of her. “I would have stayed.” He sighed, looking at Edward, who cradled his daughter against his chest. “What happened, Edward?”

“I don’t know, exactly. I came out as my father was making some pretty scathing, cruel remarks to Bella. I gave him a piece of my mind, saying that it was uncalled for and essentially cutting him out of my life until he stops acting like an asshole,” Edward growled, pressing his lips to Bella’s forehead. “Bella means so much to me, Chief. You have to know that.”

“You look as pitiful as she does,” Charlie quipped. “I sent a text to your father and I’m meeting him in an hour to discuss his not-so-choice words used to describe our girl.” He frowned. “Carlisle is going to get an earful.”

“As well he should,” Edward said, tightening his hold around Bella.

“I just hate that he thinks so little of me,” Bella sniffled.

“He wasn’t thinking. Period,” Edward retorted. “You are a beautiful, selfless, wonderful woman, who has stolen the heart of my children, and mine as well.”

“Okay, gag me,” Charlie deadpanned. “I’ll be home later. Don’t defile my couch.”

“If we defile anything, Dad, it’ll be my bed,” Bella smirked. Charlie shuddered, leaving and cursing under his breath. “I’m afraid for Carlisle. He may not make it out alive. He’ll probably be alligator bait.”

“Good. He deserves it,” Edward sneered. Bella’s stomach snarled and she blushed. “Have you eaten today?”

“I’m not really hungry,” she shrugged. “Sue brought back some soup and a salad, only because she insisted on mothering me. She was so worried when she saw my splotchy face.” The splotches returned and she smiled softly. “It was nice to have someone other than my dad worry about me.”


“I was so worried,” Edward breathed. 

“I knew you were, but a mom-like person,” Bella giggled nervously. She blinked up at him and he understood. He wanted that for his children and in some way, Sue had given that to Bella, the woman who deserved a loving mother more than anyone. “I promise I’ll be okay. I just have felt this gutted since high school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment