Saturday, December 17, 2016

Out of the Darkness Update

Out of the Darkness Update Chapter 2 on FicPad

Out of the Darkness Update Chapter 2 on TWCS

Out of the Darkness Update Chapter 2 on AO3

Out of the Darkness Update Chapter 2 on FFn

Out of the Darkness Update Chapter 2 on Wattpad

“Who are you?” I asked, staring at the most beautiful man I’d ever seen. He was bathed in light from behind and he looked like an angel.

Unfortunately, my brain couldn’t comprehend what was happening and I fell back onto the bed. When I came to, there was a weight on my leg and I saw a very large chocolate dog on the bed, looking at me with concern. He whimpered, snuggling closer to me. I tentatively reached for the dog, scratching behind his ears. He panted, giving me a doggy grin before hopping off the bed and shuffling out of the bedroom. A few moments later, the gorgeous man came back into the bedroom, carrying a tray of food. My hackles went back, despite his beauty. I didn’t trust anyone. I put on a brave front, but it was exhausting. “What am I doing here?” I asked, narrowing my eyes at him.

“You’re not going to faint again, are you?” he asked, his voice smooth like velvet with a crooked little smirk. His eyes, though, were swimming with concern. He had a slight accent, almost English, but not quite. 

“I don’t think so,” I whispered, pulling up the bedding under my chin. It wasn’t going to protect me any, but I felt more comfortable with it over me. “Who are you?”

“My name’s Edward,” he said, putting the tray on the chest at the foot of the bed. His hair was the color of a penny with pale, almost translucent skin. Behind long eyelashes, he had the greenest eyes I’d ever seen. “You’re in my house.”

“You’re not one of those … monsters who tried to …” I spat, looking down at my clothes. I was dressed in a loose t-shirt and a pair of warm flannel pajamas.

“No! I got you away from them,” he said, his eyes darkening. “They won’t bother you anymore.” His voice deepened to a low growl and his hands clenched into tight fists.

“You didn’t …” I trailed off, my heart stammering in my chest. “… kill them, did you?”

“I wanted to, but let’s just say that they are now in custody of the Port Angeles Police Department,” he said, handing me a copy of the Peninsula Daily News. On the front page was a story of a group of serial rapists being dumped in the foyer of the police department with a note, describing their crimes. After rushing their DNA through the system, they were linked with over twelve open investigations in Port Angeles, Forks, and several nearby towns. “They’re going to prison for a long, long time.”

“Twelve?” I squeaked, blinking up at him.

“So far,” Edward said. “I promise you that I was nothing but a gentleman. I couldn’t find your purse, so I brought you back here.” He shifted, a warm blush covering his pale skin.

“My purse? My bags! All of those costumes,” I wailed. “I have to find them!” I got up and was very dizzy. Edward was by my side in a flash, his arms gently guiding me back to the king-sized bed.

“Relax,” he said gently. “You need to focus on you right now. The bags and whatever was inside of them is inconsequential to your life and your healing.”

“Maybe for you, but for my kids, my students, it’s needed,” I said. I blew out a breath. “I’m a teacher and I was getting costumes for a couple of my students who are in the system, the foster care system, because they don’t have the money. Not that I have a lot of money either. I mean, I’m a teacher. My paycheck barely covers my rent and student loans. I just wanted to help them.”

“That’s understandable, Bella,” he said. 


No comments:

Post a Comment