Thursday, February 23, 2012

Edward Cullen: A Work in Progress Update

Danger in our Midst

The drive back to Seattle was quiet. I was still in my Zen state. Bella was just tired. She dozed off as soon as I got onto the highway. We stopped halfway to get some lunch but managed to get back to Seattle in good time. We pulled up to the house and went inside. We were working side by side to make dinner and do the laundry. As we were working my cell phone rang from my pocket.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Mr. Cullen? It's Peter, your landlord," he said nervously. "Um, there's no easy to say this, but our apartment complex has been burned to the ground and it started in your apartment…"

There goes my sense of peace.

"Nothing was salvaged?" I asked. Not that I cared about the damn apartment. In there, I just had second-hand furniture. Everything of value was with me at the house in Bellevue.

"No, I'm sorry."

"Did the cops say anything about it being deliberate or accidental?" I asked, leaning against the counter in the kitchen.

"There was an accelerant used. It was intentional. Arson," Peter replied. "I was calling to ask if you wanted to file a claim with your renters insurance?"

"No, but I'd like to speak with the investigating police officers," I grumbled, rubbing my face with my hand.

"They should be on their way to you, now," Peter responded. "Whoever started this wanted to send you a message."

"Damn right, Peter. Thanks," I sighed heavily. I hung up the phone, turning to Bella who was sautéing vegetables for a stir fry. "My apartment burnt down."

No comments:

Post a Comment