Monday, September 5, 2011

Figure Eight Update

Auditions and Decisions

"Carlisle, we've seen nearly twenty different guys," I whined. "No one is good enough. If I could combine all of the positive qualities of the potentials and put them into one guy, we'd be set."

"Bella, you have to patient," Carlisle said as he held my hand. "Finding a partner is like finding your soul mate. You're not going to click with the right guy in a heartbeat or with a simple hand hold. You have to build trust. Anyhow, Mike Newton is the last one for today."

"Mike Newton? What about Jessica?" I asked.

"I think he's auditioning without her knowledge. I personally think that Mike has a thing for you," Carlisle snickered. "He follows you like a lost puppy dog. It's pitiful."

"Yeah, it is. Alright, let's get this shit done," I said as I got up. I slipped off my blade guards and onto the ice. I did a few laps to warm myself up. As I was doing so, Mike had come into the rink and was speaking with Carlisle. I threw myself into a layback spin. That was something I only did rarely in routines as it was not easy to do with a partner. There were only a handful of guys who could pull it off and still look masculine. Edward Masen was one of them. He damn nearly bent himself in half.

"Bella!" Mike called.

I pulled myself out of the spin and faced him. "Hi, Mike," I said as I skated over to him. "Things okay with Jessica?"

"They're fine, but I wanted to see if I could hack it with you. You're so amazing, Bella," he said with a boyish grin. His blond hair was spiked carefully and his blue eyes were glittering with excitement.
"Carlisle wants us to do some basic pairs elements: hand to hand lift, star lift, death spiral, throw double axel and pairs spin. What do you want to do first?"

"Hand to hand," I replied. Mike took my hand and led me around the ice. I grimaced inwardly at this. I always chose this lift first because it's a good judge of strength. However, I could also get very hurt if my 'partner' was not secure. I was definitely fearful of Mike not being secure while he lifted me. He was so slender. I'm surprised he was able to lift Jessica.

"Ready?" Mike asked.

"Let's do it," I smiled tightly. We fumbled with our hands slightly but Mike lifted me over his head. It was wobbly and I didn't trust him. At. All. I understand him being nervous, but what happens when we are in front of a crowd? "Mike, down," I commanded.

He guided me down and looked at me expectantly. "Good, huh?"

I bit my lip and turned away, looking at my coach. Carlisle gave me a curt nod in the negative. I was in agreement. "Not good enough," I said as I turned back to him. "I know it was one lift but it was wobbly and unsure."

No comments:

Post a Comment