Monday, August 8, 2011

The Next Chapter Teaser: Chapter 4


“I’m assuming you’re not just pissed off about the car,” Mr. Merritt said with a wry grin.

“I’m done,” I said. I pulled out my envelope and placed it on his desk. He opened it and his brow furrowed as he read my resignation. “The kids are disrespectful and rude. My personal property is being vandalized. Don’t even get me started on that. I slept minimally this weekend because of what happened on Friday. I’m done. As of the end of the semester, I’m no longer the dean of Cherry Blossom Middle School. I’m going to be a stay at home mom and care for my babies.”

“Is there nothing we can do to convince you to stay?” Mr. Merritt asked with genuine concern.

“No. You can’t. My relationship with my children, with my husband, with my family is suffering because I hate my job,” I said forcefully.

“Well, I’ll have to bring this to the board,” Mr. Merritt said. “There will be repercussions, Bella.”

“I know and I accept them,” I said.

“You don’t even know what they are.”

“I can’t teach for at least two years because I broke my contract,” I said simply.

“You also won’t be welcomed back to the Sherryville School District,” he muttered.

“Fine,” I said. “I can get a teaching job elsewhere. Or teach college. Or get my doctorate. Anything is better than this. I shouldn’t be afraid to come to work because of some kid might retaliate against me.”

“Like I said, I’ll have to bring this up to the board. Once we find a replacement, you may be asked to leave before the semester.”

“Good. I can spend Christmas with my family without being worried about my job,” I grumbled. “Do you need anything else besides that?”

“No. And Bella, I’m sorry that you are so unhappy. I wish there was a way for you to stay with us.”

“Unless I can bring my kids to work with me and just go back to teaching, I’d do it. But that is not a possibility,” I sighed. “Thanks, though.” He nodded and I went to my office. I stopped by the custodian’s hovel and picked up a few boxes for when I was told to get my ass out of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment