Sunday, October 7, 2018

Married to the Mob: Fighting for Freedom Teaser


I was pacing the length of the hospital room. Bella was sleeping, uncomfortably. Her beautiful face was pinched in pain as she laid on her side, a heating pad on her back.

After Jake called me, giving me a fucking heart attack, I told him to call Alice. She may not be an obstetrician, but she had a working knowledge of what was going on with Bella’s body. Alice did go to medical school. Alice said for Jake to take Bella to the hospital to be checked out. It could be something small like a muscle strain in her back, which was painful, but didn’t ultimately harm the baby. It also could be the beginning of back labor, which would need to be stopped since the baby was nowhere near ready to be born.

If that was the case, Bella would be in that hospital bed for the rest of her pregnancy, however long that may be.

Bella whimpered, shifting on the hospital gurney. Strapped on her belly was a fetal heart monitor. I was an anxious mess, looking at my soul mate in pain. The only thing that gave me solace was the steady heartbeat of my son. He was doing okay inside.

“Mr. Cullen?” Dr. Myerson said, walking into our private suite. She smiled at me tenderly, but relieved. “After running some tests, your wife has strained a couple of muscles in her back. The baby is growing inside, putting more pressure onto her body. Your wife is tiny. You’re not.”

“Are you saying that our son is going to be big?” I snorted.

“Right now? He’s about four pounds, at seven months. Bella also gained fifteen pounds since her last appointment,” Dr. Myerson explained.  “That rapid weight gain, coupled with the baby moving around inside? It caused the strain in her back, hips and pelvis.”

“What can we do?” I asked. “She looks so uncomfortable.”

“You have a couple of options. Pain killers aren’t an option because they could cause birth defects with your baby. She can’t take anything stronger than Tylenol,” Dr. Myerson said. “There are a few unconventional methods for pain management - acupuncture, chiropractic care, exercise, heat and cold therapies and improved posture. You’ve got a great chiropractor in your neighborhood who specializes in pregnancy adjustments. I’ve sent a couple of patients to him with some really great results. No more pain.”

I looked at my wife, sitting down next to her and taking her tiny hand. She sighed, moving closer to me. I pressed a kiss to Bella’s wrist. “What about now?”

“We’re going to keep her overnight. The pain did cause her to have a few Braxton-Hicks contractions. I’d like to monitor that overnight, but since she’s been here, there haven’t been anymore,” Dr. Myerson said. “She’ll be released tomorrow, if all goes well.”

“Can we get the information for the acupuncturist and chiropractor? And should we use a physical therapist for the exercise?”

“Physical therapy might be overkill. I’ll print out the information for the chiropractor. They have an experienced acupuncturist on staff. I’ll also give you some exercises, but swimming, walking and stationary cycling can help. I’ll also give you some strengthening exercises. That will help when it comes time for when your little one makes his appearance,” Dr. Myerson nodded. She looked at me, her lips pursed. “Maybe a physical therapist should be in order. I’ll write a prescription for that.”

“Thank you,” I smiled. Bella’s eyes fluttered and she blinked up at me sleepily.

“I’ll also get you some scrubs. You shouldn’t have to sleep in your suit, Mr. Cullen,” Dr. Myerson quipped. “I’ll also get a more comfortable cot brought in.” She ducked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

“How much did you hear?” I asked.

“Medicine won’t help,” Bella grumped. “But, acupuncture? I hate needles!”

Dr. Myerson

Hospital Room

Edward's Suit



No comments:

Post a Comment