Saturday, October 13, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Teaser


After dinner, we sat down in the living room to exchange gifts. Bella was chatting with my brother, who was enamored with her. They smiled easily with each other. I could see him become protective of her, welcoming her into our fold. Mom and Dad were talking with Charlie and Linda. I sat down next to Alice, who was scowling at the Christmas tree.

“Would you like something sweet? Some coffee?” I asked. She didn’t respond, only shrugging. “Alice, we’ve extended an invitation to you and to your family. Charlie, Linda and Bella have accepted the invitation with graciously. You, on the other hand? Have not.”

“It’s because I’m being treated like a criminal,” she grumbled, her nose wrinkled. “Some military guy pulled me into an interrogation room and grilled me like I was …”

“You do know why, Alice?” I asked. “Did he show you the blog post?” She ignored the question, her hard gaze focused on the tree. Her lips were pursed and I could hear her teeth grinding. “Your silence says so much, Alice. You’d do that to your sister? Appalling, really. You sold your soul to the devil, just to make your sister hurt?” I sat back, holding the brandy snifter. “It’s only a matter of time. Trust me, Alice.”

“You don’t know anything,” she sneered. She shot up, leaving the room and heading toward her room. I blinked to Renata. She gave me a curt nod, following Alice. Her true colors were showing and not painting her in a positive light.

“Masen, help me with the presents,” Emmett said, arching a brow.

I stood up, brushing off my dress pants and walking to the tree. It was overflowing with gifts to Bella and her family. We rarely exchanged gifts with each other since we had the means to get whatever we wanted, when we wanted it. We didn’t act like entitled royals. We gave a lot back to our country with donations and our service. “Wow, Mom and Dad really went all out for Bella, Charlie, Linda and Alice,” I chuckled.

“Speaking of Alice,” Emmett grumbled, tugging on my arm. He dragged me to the far side of the tree. “I spoke to Felix, who had a conversation with everyone on staff.”

“Yeah?”

“Yeah. She did get access from the phone by befriending a servant. That servant has been fired and is in prison,” Emmett explained.

“Did the servant say why?” I asked, my clenching into hands into rigid fists. “All servants sign an NDA. They’re paid well. I don’t understand.”

Masen, Christmas Sweater

Emmett, Christmas Sweater


2 comments:

  1. loved the sweaters, and the teaser

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOT LIKING EMMETT'S SWEATER TOO MUCH.
    CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FULL CHAPTER.
    READ YOU SOON : )

    ReplyDelete