Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Picking up the Pieces Teaser

A month had passed since AJ’s birth. In that month, Edward and I went to the doctor to verify my pregnancy in mid-April. We were sitting in the doctor’s office after work. The kids were spending time with Carlisle and my parents. I was in a paper gown, holding Edward’s hand. Gripping it, really.

“Why are you nervous?” he asked. 

“Because I’m old,” I snorted.

“I’m older,” he chuckled. “Two years older.”

“I’m classified as a geriatric pregnancy, Edward,” I argued. “I’m thirty-five and geriatric.”

“You weren’t geriatric when I licked your pussy this morning,” he smirked. I smacked his arm, blushing furiously. “What?”

“Behave, Edward. In a few moments, there’s going to be a doctor in here who is going to shove a transvaginal wand up my hoo-ha to check on our baby,” I grumbled.

“A what?” he asked.

“It’s an ultrasound for new pregnancies. The baby will be too small to be seen with a regular ultrasound,” I explained. “So, the technician will put a condom-covered …”

“This is freaking me out, sweetness,” Edward grumbled. “Why is there a condom?”

“Sanitary reasons, baby,” I giggled, ruffling his hair. He gave me a glower as the doctor walked in. I decided to go to the same obstetrician, Dr. Scott, that Rose used. With my pregnancy being a geriatric pregnancy, I wanted to make sure our nugget was okay.

She smiled at us and held out her hand. “Rose has told me all about you,” she said. “I’m Amelia Scott.”

“I’m Bella and this is my husband, Edward,” I said, shaking her hand.

“Nice to meet you both,” Dr. Scott said, turning to Edward. “I’m glad I could get you in. My practice is booming. Lots of  babies. And little AJ? So adorable.”

“He looks exactly like my brother when he was a baby,” Edward chuckled. “But, with Rose’s eyes.”

“So, you are pregnant,” Dr. Scott smiled, blinking to me. “We ran the urine and the icon came up as positive, and I ran a blood test, too. Do you know when you think you conceived?”

“To be honest, no,” I chuckled. “We got married in February, Valentine’s Day. I had an IUD, but it was removed a week prior to my wedding. My periods were wonky before the IUD and I had a light period last week. Plus, we experienced a loss with my mother-in-law. I wasn’t really paying attention.”

1 comment: