Monday, August 20, 2018

A Modern Day Fairy Tale Teaser


I noticed some small changes in the apartment. It seemed warmer, homier. I was pacing the length of the living room. Jake had texted Masen, explaining that they had picked up Alice and she was beaten up pretty badly. My fear was that she was raped. “Bella, she’s going to be okay,” Masen replied, taking me into his arms.

“What a cluster,” I grumbled. “You don’t have to stay, Masen.”

“I’m not going anywhere, cherie,” he said, taking my face into his hands. “I love you. You’re my family.”

“Even though my family is fucked up?” I snorted humorlessly.

“Every family is fucked up,” he smirked, kissing my nose. I slid my arms around his waist and snuggled into his embrace. The door opened and my dad struggled to stand. Masen helped him to his feet while Linda came out from the kitchen, her hands wringing in a towel. Jacob was helping Alice; whose face was a rainbow of colors.

“Fuck,” I spat, walking over to her and wrapping my arm around her waist. “Alice? You should be in the hospital.”

“No. No hospital,” she said, her voice muffled. “I’m okay, Bella.”

“Come on, Ali. Let’s get you cleaned up,” I sighed.

“I can do it myself,” she muttered. She moved away stubbornly, but I followed her into the bathroom. She removed her clothes and I saw some bruises on her back. “Bella, I’m fine.”

“Those black welts on your body indicates otherwise, Alice,” I argued. I waited on the toilet as Alice showered. She huffed in the shower. “I know we don’t have the best relationship, Alice, but I’m concerned. You’re covered in bruises and living in an abandoned building.”

“Dad kicked me out,” Alice said, pulling out a towel and wrapping it around her body behind the shower curtain. “He kicked me out because of you, Bella.” She stepped out of the shower and I could see more bruises on her thighs. “I wasn’t raped, Bella. I was pushed against a railing.” She held out her arms. “No track marks, either.”

“Will you stop with the wall? You called me, Alice. You asked for help and you got it. You’d think you’d be a little grateful,” I sighed. “Look, I’m worried. You were kicked out because of your actions, not living up to the expectations Dad gave you and stealing from your family. Not mine. I want us to have a relationship. I know that you’re …”

“Bella, I’m tired. I don’t want to do this now. I just want some pain killers and to sleep,” Alice grumbled.

“You may have a concussion, Alice,” I argued. “You shouldn’t sleep.”

“Maybe, in time, we can have a relationship. For now? I just need to sleep,” Alice said wearily. She walked to me, her grey eyes appraising me. “Thank you for helping me, Bella. I appreciate it.” She hugged me awkwardly before ducking out of the bathroom.

I huffed out a breath, tugging on my hair and glowering at the bathroom door, which was partially open. There was a quiet knock on the wooden door. “Yeah?”

Linda walked in, giving me a tender smile. “Alice is in her room.” She sat down at the edge of the tub. “What’s wrong, Bella?”

“Alice still blames me for …”

“She reached out, sweetie,” Linda murmured, taking my hand. “It’s a step in the right direction. I’m upset that she was hurt, but she’s here and she’s safe. From what Jacob said, Seth is working with the police department to find Jasper, but as far as we know, he’s in the wind.” She pressed a set of keys into my hands. “Go to my apartment. You and Masen can stay there. I know you want to stay close.”

An FYI regarding this upcoming chapter. It will be posted a DAY early due to plans on Friday. I'm playing a musical mom for a friend, taking her daughter to her first rehearsal for her new production since my friend is double-booked. Her son is starting pee-wee football. Thank you for your patience! 

4 comments:

  1. Alice can do things on her own. No need for anyone to assist her. Clearly everything's just an act. Who knows if that's her and Jasper's plan so that Alice can have access to the newly renovated bakery and once business starts they can rob/steal from it. I don't think Bella and Charlie let their emotions rule. They should be cautious all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't trust Alice just yet, I live for your teasers, but hearing the chapter will be earlier thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is the best that bella can ask for, it is a start for alice, alice isn't the best at family relationships

    ReplyDelete